Laser Gum Treatment in Clinton Township, MI
LANAP® is a minimally invasive procedure for moderate to advanced gum disease. This advanced procedure uses a special laser fiber to target the removal of bad unhealthy bacteria without harming healthy tissue. It is the only FDA approved and scientifically proven laser treatment that can regenerate periodontal tissue and bone. It can actually help gum tissue grow.
Not only is LANAP® scientifically advanced but it is also relatively gentle. Most people experience little to no discomfort after the procedure.
Dr. Aiello was one of the first dentists in the world to perform LANAP®. He was trained by the creators of this procedure at the prestigious Institute for Advanced Laser Dentistry. He has been successfully doing this procedure since 2005.
LANAP® is quite different than traditional gum surgery. Traditional osseous periodontal surgery involves a scalpel blade to cut away gum tissue and placement of stitches. During LANAP® a small laser fiber about the width of a few human hairs is gently placed between the tooth and gum rather than cutting away gum tissue. The lack of cutting into tissue and benefits of the PerioLase® laser makes recovery nearly pain free after LANAP®.
The LANAP® Procedure:
- Probing: a probe is placed to measure the periodontal pocket depth
- Ablation: The diseased periodontal tissue is gently removed with the PerioLase® MVP-7™ laser. Only diseased tissue is targeted. The remaining healthy tissue is stimulated to create new attachment and regrowth..
- Root Surfaces Cleaned: Piezo Ultrasonic Scalers and hand instruments remove tartar, calculus and unwanted debris from teeth
- Modification of Bone: Laser tissue regeneration initiates
- Fibrin Clot: The PerioLase® laser is used to form a fibrin clot. This will form a natural healing barrier to seal around the teeth.
- Reattachment: The gum tissue begins to form a new healthy reattachment to the teeth
- Occlusal Adjustment: The bite pressure is adjusted to remove improper contacts and pressure on the teeth.
- True Periodontal Regeneration
Compared to traditional periodontal surgery LANAP® has:
- Less Pain
- Healing is Faster
- Faster Recovery Time
- Significantly Less Gum Recession
- Less Tooth Sensitivity
- Bone Regeneration is Stimulated
- No Stitches